OData criteria encoding and "'Edm.Boolean' are not compatible" issues

Did some work today with an OData system. Making an number of mistakes along the way, everything seemed normal, until I got to the this error message:
- "The types 'Edm.Boolean' and 'Edm.String' are not compatible."

It seemed to persist almost no matter what. The solution if you're here banging your head against the wall is pretty simple, if frustrating.

OData allows query like syntax. In it's opertional options, you *can* add things together such as {number} + {number}. So plus (+) is a very reserved character, and you sir or madam, are using it. I found this was the case only by dropping out of my prepared url param that looked like: "criteria/targetUserID eq 'LANCGL'" and seeing the cURL request itself. The resulting url came out: "%24filter=criteria%2FtargetUserID+eq+%22LANCGL%22". All the encoding in the world did not damage, except for the '+' usage.

If you're using PHP, start searching your REST and cURL libraries for how the parameters are encoded onto the url. Somewhere, you're very likely to find http_build_query. The very last argument for that function allows your to swap to RFC3986, which encodes spaces with %20 instead of +. Do that, and you'll be gold.

http_build_query($options['data'], NULL, NULL, PHP_QUERY_RFC3986)

Tags: 

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.